Church of St Francis of Assisi

A chapel, built at Tuas Village in 1958 by the late Rev. Fr. Joachim Teng, parish priest of St. Joseph's Church in Bukit Panjang, was the humble beginning of our church. It was built in honour of our Lady of Fatima. Rev. Fr. Thomas di Pasquale was appointed as the first parish priest in 1960.

image

The increase in the Catholic population of Jurong prompted the parish priest to set up a chapel in a rented shophouse at Hu Ching Road in 1967. The chapel was called Taman Jurong Chapel. Soon, with a growing community, its capacity was reduced. So, in 1969, a parish chapel was built at Gek Poh Road. It was named St. Francis of Assisi Chapel.

As more residential estates emerged in the Boon Lay neighborhood, the present site of the church was acquired. The construction of a permanent church, begun in 1975, was completed in 1976. This church came to be known as the Church of St. Francis of Assisi. The chapel at Tuas Village was demolished. Taman Jurong chapel became the Young Christian Workers (YCW) Centre. The chapel at Gek Poh was converted to St. Joseph's Home after it was taken over by the Cannosian Sisters. 

Our parish celebrated the 20th Anniversary of our present move to the Boon Lay site in 1986. In 2002, improvements and renovations were done to expand the capacity of the church. The construction of a multipurpose hall, a canteen, several function rooms and other facilities were incorporated in the project. Rev. Fr. Nicholas Ho, our former parish priest was responsible for initiating the project. Between 2012 to 2017, Fr. John Lau added improvement works such as the installation of a lift, projections for liturgy use, and repainting of the church building. 

It took almost quarter of a century to transform a chapel into the present church for the glory of God and to meet the diverse needs of our expanding parish community.